Friday, August 10, 2012

Living Tall





We have watched Joshua gain a lot of mobility lately. He is moving around the house with much more speed and agility. But we are noticing something. He still walks just like he used to. He is bent to the side and pitched to the front. He holds his head to the side. At first I wondered if something was going wrong. Maybe the rods and pins have slipped and his spine is curving again? We notice if we tell him to straighten up, he can. And if we remind him to hold his back straight he will...at least for a minute. Finally, I called the doctor and asked about it. They said that this is a very common problem. We just need to remind him to stand up straight and we will get started with some PT as well. His muscles must be retrained to accommodate his new position.

It made me think...how often do I "walk crooked" in my Christian life? How easy it is to forget the price that was paid for me to be healed? Christ's precious blood was shed that my heart might be whole. Yet, I forget my Redeemer and walk in the crooked way of selfishness, worry, and complaining. I slip into old patterns of behavior. Maybe those sinful attitudes feel more comfortable and familiar. Just like Joshua has to be reminded often (many times a day!) to stand straight and tall, to put his head straight, I also have to be reminded. I am a new creature in Christ.  Josh's muscles have to be retrained, and I must retrain my heart and mind to think on what is true, noble and right. It is time to make a greater effort to spend time in the Word and prayer. There I know I will find the encouragement I need to live in newness of life.

And with the Lord's help Josh and I will work together to be who we really are.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Amy, this post brings tears to my eyes. So so true, my friend. I am in the same place...just this morning finally stopping long enough in my devotional time to soak up the truth that I am a new creature in Christ. The battlefield of my mind has been an active place lately for many reasons...and I finally slowed down enough this morning to recognize it for what it is--sinful pride, selfish ambition, impatience, unkindness. I am right there with you and with Joshua needing reminding to stand tall. Thanks for your sweet words. Prayers for your family and the many things going on there.

    ReplyDelete